Alright Alright (Here Goes part II: Lifter Puller) Feb 10, 2021 10:02:11 GMT -5
Post by skepticatfirst on Feb 10, 2021 10:02:11 GMT -5
The Nice Nice is all the places where the Scene[*1] gets together. Some of these places, like the brewery bar, we can identify with an actual address and detailed physical description; of others, we can scarcely say more than that they exist. Each of the identifiable places has metaphors that are unique to it alone, which we'll come to in due course. But there are also shared terms that apply to *all* these places, ranging from the mostly literal to the purely metaphorical, which we want to catalog from the beginning. These include:
- "(night)clubs"/"discos" [SWH, DStraps, JBS, SGS, SCity, HDaD, Hardware, TCMamG, SdS, LGI, LPvtEotE, CRoom, NN, LDoL, TFatBR, SSC]: from the basic notion of a party in a big dark room with music, which is what the principal Scene gatherings referred to by this term are.
- "(after)bars"/"taverns" [DStraps, BBender, HDaD, Bears, TGatSD, Viceburgh, TCMamG, SdS, LiaL, LSifL, NN, LDoL, TFatBR, BiB]: from the brewery bar in St. Paul, which, being the most important of the party sites, casts its shadow over all the rest.
- "stadiums" [NC, Bloomington, 11AF, LDoL, TFatBR]: from "the club kids as they crowded around us" [LGI], compare "When the crowd went wild we were under the stands" [C&N], and the football metaphors documented upthread (see THE BEARS above). Specific referents are Fenway Park on Lansdowne Street [LDoL], the Metrodome [Bloomington] on 11th Ave [11AF] and 5th Street [TFatBR], Metropolitan Stadium with the Killebrew memorial in the present-day megamall [Bloomington], and (with a connection to Rome) Nassau Coliseum [NC].
- "motels" [Langelos]: from "pretty much living in" these places in drug slavery; more detail on this later. Note that the use of the motel/hotel metaphor is greatly expanded in THS [CatCT, SN, 212M, GoaH, Ambassador, EC, DH, Star18, TS&tT, Esther, FFarm, HCovenant] (see also GEOGRAPHY: FIRST PASS above).
- "domes" [Bloomington, Sublet, SCity, TGatSD]: from the idea of the big dark room, with additional allusions to drugs ("domes"=LSD, see LISTED above) and to Rome (the Pantheon [Sublet]).
- "houses" [Emperor, SH, Langelos, LGI, LQ]: from their function as trap houses, i.e. places to buy drugs ("party house" [TLTtSTtM, BSam]; "after hours house" [MMarker]; "House of Balloons" [Oaks]; see comments on "summer house" in DRUG SLANG above, and on "house cats" [Langelos] in RATS & CATS above). References to "houses" become more common in the post-LP lyrics [HF, HH, LiD, JaJ, AE, Oaks, ASitS, TsTux, TLTtSTtM, BSam].
- "caves": [NN]: again from the big dark room, but note also that the Skins' "bunker" [IHTWTDFY] has a real-world referent in the lagering caves beneath the brewery (link).
- "malls" [Bloomington]: from the sale of drugs, compare "they mostly sold it on the malls" [SN]. References to malls become much more elaborate in the post-LP lyrics [Brokerdealer DMN, SN, CSTLN, HSL, PP, SG].
- "theaters": [PSunglasses, ILtL, LDoL]: from the scenes of outer space and visions the kids see when high (see ON THE FLOOR: VISIONS below). References to theaters, movies, and matinees also become more elaborate in the post-LP lyrics [SN, MoC, SA, AE, Lanyards, Jackson, etc.].
- "churches": The church/temple metaphor for these places isn't introduced until THS ("Now heres the church, here's the steeple/ I like the party favors but I hate the party people" [EC]) [CatCT, YLHF, SA, ABlues, EC, BSam, J&J].
There are four "nightclub" addresses mentioned in the course of the LP story:
- 11th Ave [11AF] and 5th Street [TFatBR]: the location of the Metrodome
- 4th and 14th [Bears]: an intersection in Northeast Minneapolis
- Northeast bar [BBender]: in Northeast Minneapolis
- City Center/Nankin [Manpark, 4Dix]: in downtown Minneapolis
The Metrodome is a metaphorical "stadium"/"dome" club reference ("Metro"='city' is significant too, but it's special, so we'll treat it separately; see THE CITY below).
We've already shown that the "4th and 14th" address is cover for a football allusion (see THE BEARS above), and therefore another "stadium"/"dome" metaphor rather than a literal club location.
As we'll see shortly, neither of the other addresses is literal either (see THE CITY and THE EAST below). The story does take place in the Twin Cities, but not at any of these real-world locations.
By the same token, it's important to note that a fourth address:
- 15th and Franklin [Manpark, NN, 4Dix]: on the southern outskirts of downtown Minneapolis
*is* an entirely real location in the story, but is *not* part of the Scene. That is, it's a drug house under the control of a different gang than the ones who run the St. Cloud/Wednesday night distribution empire. There are no parties there; no one gets further than the door with the mail slot [NN]. It's only connected to the rest of what happens in the LP world because Night Club Dwight (who isn't a gangster either) happens to be a known quantity and credentialed customer there.
[*1] "The Scene" as such is from THS, but LP not coincidentally has the "nightclub scenes" [JBS], the "scenery" [Langelos], the "hardcore scene" [MTape].