Alright Alright (Here Goes part II: Lifter Puller) Dec 24, 2020 16:07:51 GMT -5 thrasher9294 and tbob like this
Post by skepticatfirst on Dec 24, 2020 16:07:51 GMT -5
Hey all. Hard for me to believe, but today makes five years since I joined the boards and kicked off the Here Goes thread (link) for a long-form walkthrough of the story in The Hold Steady lyrics.
As I mentioned to tableinthecorner a few days ago, I have mixed feelings about Here Goes. I did it under particular circumstances, and don't have any regrets; but as an analysis, it could have been a lot cleaner. It wasn't presented clearly (yes, it's a complex subject, but we have orzelc in the house who writes accessibly about quantum physics and relativity, and this ain't that). I made mistakes --- most of them corrected, but not all. I missed some things entirely.
These are in principle problems I could have fixed. muzzleofbees suggested that I rewrite the whole thing in a different format, which was probably the thing to do; but for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it looked like a lot of work to reconcile the fuzziness at the edges of the story with the newly exploding catalog, I found that a daunting prospect. All the same, I felt like I still somehow owed it to, I don't know, Craig's achievement? my own sense of doing right by what I set out to do? to finish the job properly.
While I was thinking about this, a door opened on another front. In the aftermath of Here Goes I'd started listening to Lifter Puller, and I was now increasingly certain that, like the THS lyrics, the LP lyrics too came together to tell a story. So at some point, I decided that I could just do a fresh round of analysis with the much shorter and definitively complete LP catalog, do it right this time, and call it day.
This thread is the product of that decision. On approximately a Massive Nights V scale, I got more than I bargained for.
A few leadoff comments, just to set expectations:
- There is in fact a Lifter Puller story. It's neither short nor simple, but it's much shorter and simpler than the THS story. For good reasons that will appear later, it's also **much** more tightly written than the THS story. If you're the sort of person who has a jones for the narrative, and especially if you were in the "I buy into a lot of the Here Goes analysis but there's still a lot of I-don't-know there," let me say that I think you will appreciate what's on tap here.
- The THS story and the LP story are separate, but they're built out of the same scenes, and there's a *lot* of THS in this thread. Nearly everything we learn about the LP world, it turns out, breaks new ground for understanding the THS universe.
- In the interest of making the best possible presentation, I've written up the entire analysis ahead of time. It may not be perfectly polished, but it's going to be a lot more polished than Here Goes was (see TABLE OF CONTENTS below).
- It's not exactly necessary to have read Here Goes in order to read what follows, but I do assume a basic knowledge of the characters and main events of the THS story, and I won't spend time here re-establishing the major conclusions of that thread (I do link to relevant sections for arguments about specific details). For anyone who hasn't read Here Goes but wants the gist, the closest thing to a summary is in the timeline sections, linked below.
Timeline of the THS story
01) Sept 1970 - Summer 1996 (link)
02) Summer 1996 - Summer 1997 (link)
03) Interval - Winter 2002/03 (link)
04) Summer 2003 (link)
05) Fall 2003 - Spring 2004 (link)
06) May 2004 - End Spring 2004 (link)
07) Summer 2004 : Gideon's apartment (link)
08) Summer 2004 : Saddle Shop (link)
09) Summer 2004 : Crucifixion (link)
10) Summer 2004 : Car ride (link)
11) Summer 2004 : After crash (link)
12) Summer 2004 : Trial (link)
13) Summer 2004 - Years later (link)
Again, I now know that there are things in this timeline that aren't quite right, or are missing, but I'm not going to go back and fix them. It'll be evident what corrections need to be applied as we move forward through the new thread.
As a last note in the offing here, I'd like to make a final salute to Still Alive Carl, who got me into THS so many years ago:
and outside the club is where we spill our drinks in memory of
all those guys that didn't make it till the dawn
rest in peace